Loyalties

The magic of digital media in municipal government is that it extends the opportunities for bickering beyond the 4+ hours every two weeks when the nine members of Greensboro City Council meet to discuss the city’s business. Not to mention providing a forum for Mayor Bill Knight to make an about-face.

The tiff was set off when Assistant City Manager Denise Turner alerted council members that NC Sens. Don Vaughan and Gladys Robinson were seeking the city’s position on Senate Bill 183. The bill’s proponents, Turner explained, argue that the legislation address vegetation growth around billboards, and tout job creation and retention associated with outdoor advertising, along with the financial contributions the industry makes to nonprofits.

Among other provisions, the legislation also prohibits local governments “from regulating vegetation cutting, trimming, pruning, or removal within the limits of interstate or primary highway rights-of-way,” and instead grants permitting authority to the NC Department of Transportation.

The following e-mail exchange ensued:

Mayor Bill Knight: “I oppose this legislation. There is nothing that suggests local communities are incapable of administering local sign ordinances. State regulation is not warranted.”

At-large Councilman Danny Thompson: “Having studied both sides of the issue, I will stand with President Pro Tem Senator Phil Berger (my state senator) and Senator Tillman (co-sponsor) in proudly promoting this legislation which 1) provides for more tree planting funds along state highways, 2) includes stiffer penalties for sign owners who cut down trees without a permit, 3) creates jobs and economic development – 2 of the 3 priorities of our city council, 4) reduces burdensome state regulations on business and 5) is supported by the NC Wildlife Habitat Foundation, Duke Children’s Hospital and the ALS Association.” (excerpt)

Mayor Knight: “I have been told this bill is going to undergo close scrutiny by the Senate due to concerns that have been raised. In view of that I choose to withhold my position – pro or con – until more is known about the revisions. This is contrary to my earlier stated opposition.”

Mayor Pro Tem Nancy Vaughan: “Danny, I believe this is an issue of sovereignty and the state’s willingness to overreach in its control over our (the city of Greensboro’s) ability to shape and enact ordinances that we deem reasonable and proper. I will not willingly surrender the city’s ability to control zoning within our city limits. If this is such a worthwhile idea, there is nothing that precludes the billboard industry from requesting these changes on a city-by-city basis rather than making an end-run around the very communities they will impact.

“My loyalty, first and foremost, is with the citizens of Greensboro.”

Thompson: “Nancy, why do you feel a need to argue my position to all members of council? Can I not state my position as you have yours and move on? This is not our vote – we were simply asked our individual position on a General Assembly piece of legislation. I graciously recognize your position and humbly present mine – recognizing both come with an emphatic position as to what we believe is the best way to progress.

“My loyalty, first and foremost, is with my spouse.”

Vaughan: “Danny, I simply addressed my comments to you since, at the time of my responding, you were the only council member on record in support of this legislation. (After I sent it, I read the mayor’s e-mail that he would like to reserve his opinion until he got more information and I am sure he will consider my comments in the spirit in which they were written.) I was not arguing against your position. I was merely restating mine. I believe that this is a very important philosophical issue and I am very worried about the precedent it could set.

“BTW I didn’t think it was necessary to state “as an elected official” my loyalty, first and foremost, is to the citizens of Greensboro. But I guess it was.”

No comments: