Mary J. Blige takes 'em to school

This is big news.

I'm not so crazy about Jay Z, me, but I love me some Mary J. I don't care what they're saying about her... girl can throw down.

Witness this performance at the "American Idol" season finale in 2006, with your boy Elliott Yamin:



She not only schools Yamin — which is understandable — but she absolutely lays down the law on territory that was once U2's. Not anymore. I'll never think of that song in the same way.

It brings to mind "All Along the Watchtower," the tune originally written by Bob Dylan but which was completely subverted by Jimi Hendrix' interpretation.
Dylan said of Jimi's jam: "Strange how when I sing it, I always feel it's a tribute to him in some kind of way."

And here's some more interesting crap: On the song's Wikipedia page there are samples by Dylan and Hendrix, of course, but also by... U2.
Nice try, fellas. Nice hats, too. Did you guys always dress for impromptu songwriting sessions on the tour bus?

Not so crazy about U2, either.

5 comments:

Joel Gillespie said...

I remember this like yesterday. This was such a great take on "One." When Mary J came out I remember getting goosebumps! In my mind it is a tribute to U2, just as it was to Dylan, that a song of theirs can be so significantly and so well interpreted by another person. I like All Along the Watchtower by Dylan, by Hendrix, and by U2, though Hendrix put such a powerful and definitive spin on the song it really became his. One other person who I think interpreted "One" in a powerful way was Johnny Cash. You should check out his version too.

Brian Clarey said...

Oh yeah, Joel... I love that Johnny Cash turn. Here's a link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQBrn6trEwI

And I love Dylan's 'Watchtower,' but I never really liked U2 though I've recently come around to admiring their songwriting and longevity. I just think Bono is kind of a tool.
We had a related discussion in the office this week on the merits of Stevie Ray Vaughan's instrumental version of 'Little Wing,' which is just terrific.

Joel Gillespie said...

I first really noticed Little Wing through Stevie Ray's version for some reason. It is a fantastic interpretation. I listen to it a lot.

As to U2, you just have to get past Bono's ego. "Look at me cameras, look at me. Aren't I beautiful?" I think he has settled down a little bit in that department. At least he is using his fame for a good cause too.

I like U2 a lot, but only in 30 minute doses max. I couldn't listen to them all day, it's too tense.

But the intro to Where the Streets Have No Name still makes me weepy, for real. It just gets to me.

So, for real, you like the Johnny Cash version of "One." I could tell if there was maybe a little sarcasm in that sentence. I'll check out the link.

Joel Gillespie said...

I just listened to Johnny Cash;s version of "One" - through your link. Bring me the hankies!

Brian Clarey said...

I never screw around when it comes to the Man in Black. Never.