Knox withdraws from Winston-Salem mayoral race

James Lee Knox, the Republican candidate for mayor of Winston-Salem, will pull out of the race.

A press statement sent on behalf of the campaign from campaign manager David Singletary indicated the decision was a reaction to the Forsyth County Republican Party's disavowal of the candidate.

The statement from the campaign follows:

My desire to run for mayor of Winston-Salem was based upon my belief that I have something to offer, and I have a desire to work to serve the citizens of Winston-Salem and Forsyth County.

Today, I have decided that now is not my time. The decision of the Forsyth County Republican Party to disavow my candidacy, as opposed to merely not supporting me, has made the task of running for mayor difficult, but not impossible.

And difficult decisions have to be made with any campaign. In this case the most difficult ones are the ones that involve my family. I have a great deal of love and respect for my family, and I sincerely appreciate their support.

I also appreciate the support of those who stood beside me. I appreciate the kind words of support and encouragement that I've been given. My respect for my supporters and for the citizens of Winston-Salem are only second to the respect and love that I have for my family.

I look forward to continuing to support my local Republican party in any way that I can, although I disagree with the actions that were taken against me. The decision and subsequent resolution that endorsed a smear campaign against me is contrary to what I beliefs of my Republican party.

However, just like with any family, we had a disagreement, and I believe we will find a way to get past this and move on with the business of keeping ou community, our city and our America a place where every vote counts and anybody can run for office and ... sometimes even win!

So today I'm announcing that I'm ending my campaign for Winston-Salem mayor.

Thank you! God bless you all and God bless America.

Incumbent Allen Joines faces challenger Gardenia Henley in the Democratic primary on Sept. 10.

No comments: