Sandy Carmany exiled from District 5

Plan Q, a redistricting plan approved by Greensboro City Council last night, shifts Precinct 50 from District 5 to District 4. One notable resident of Precinct 50 is Sandy Carmany, who resides at 1504 Larson St., and a longtime District 5 incumbent who lost her race to challenger Trudy Wade last year. Wade voted against the alternate Plan B and cast her vote in favor of Plan Q.

Should the plan receive the approval of the US Justice Department, it will put Carmany in District 4, where Councilman Mike Barber has handily won his races in the past two elections.

Carmany takes note in her revived blog: "Precinct 50 was not touched in any of the other plans that had been available for public review and comment. I find it odd that at the 11th hour, here comes "Plan Q" that not only ousted my precinct from the district, but also other precincts that supported me instead of my opponent in the November 2007 election. How convenient for the current incumbent!"

UPDATE: Time, 1:37 p.m., Feb. 21, 2008

Matheny says when he drew up Plan Q he had absolutely no idea that it would move Carmany from District 5 to District 4, and that Wade had no role in drawing up the plan.

“When I drew up that plan, I had no idea where Sandy Carmany lived," he told me. "That accusation that it was some underhanded thing is preposterous. I have no idea where she lives.... Trudy Wade was nowhere in the room. Trudy had no idea."

No comments: