Greensboro City Council...

The Greensboro City Council held a relatively low-key meeting tonight, the first regular meeting since five out of nine members voted to oust former City Manager Mitchell Johnson.

Three significant developments to report:

1. A unanimous vote to allow staff to move forward with the construction of Gateway Gardens;

2. A 7-1 vote to support state legislation extending ethics law to cover city and county officials (the lone vote in opposition was cast by District 1 Councilwoman Dianne Bellamy-Small); and

3. District 5 Councilwoman Trudy Wade and Greensboro police Detective Scott Sanders are now codefendants with the city of Greensboro, former police Chief David Wray and former Deputy Chief Randall Brady in a discrimination lawsuit filed by dozens of black police officers.

More details to come in the March 25 issue of YES! Weekly.

4 comments:

Roch101 said...

Hey Jordan,

State legislators are required to file a disclosure of financial interests. Do you know if the legislation to extend ethics laws to city and county officials would include that?

Anonymous said...

Yes, absolutely. Follow the link, and read the bill. It adds county and city elected officials to the list of people covered by the ethics legislation passed for state lawmakers a couple years ago. I want to say the original legislation was passed in 2006.

Roch101 said...

Thank you Jordan. I'm pretty sure the requirements for disclosure of financial interests have been around for a while, certainly prior to 2006 -- I remember David Hoggard saying they should apply to local elected official when he ran for city council in 2003. (I guess Hoggard was a man ahead of his time).

Any info on why T. Dianne Bellamy Small was the lone vote against this?

Anonymous said...

Alright, Roch, you're forcing me to preview my material, but I guess I'm okay with it.

TDBS's comment to me was, “I already know that my spouse is not going to want his assets revealed…. I’m not trying to hide anything, but I don’t feel I need that kind of oversight.”

Yes, I am intrigued by this statement.