Vaughan on Expanded Voter-Owned Elections bill

Sen. Don Vaughan (D-Guilford) had this to say about Expanded Voter-Owned Elections in a recent e-mail:

"I worry about putting any state tax dollars into any new programs because of the erosion of the economy and the dire financial condition of our state.

"In general, in order for me to consider this bill, I feel that in order for any candidate to receive matching funds, the required number and amount of qualifying contributions must be significant enough to prove the candidate's viability. A candidate in name only is unacceptable."

ADDENDUM: March 31, 6:51: Sen. Peter S, Brunstetter (R-Forsyth) has this to say about the legislation: "I am open minded, but leaning against it at this point. I would be more interested in this issue if it included a number of across-the-board reforms, including independent redistricting."

No comments: