Candidate talks back on party affiliation

Greensboro City Council District 2 candidate Ryan Shell talks back to my May 27 article about this year’s election. The candidate had the courtesy to call me today and directly address his concerns about my mention of his Republican party affiliation. I told him that when I use loaded terms such as “Republican,” “Democrat,” “black” or “white” I try to be sure that they’re more illuminating than distracting. In this case, I think the former outweighed the latter. We had a good conversation, which was off the record.

5 comments:

Roch101 said...

What light was shed by identifying Shell as a Republican?

Jordan Green said...

Roch, it's a fact that Ryan Shell is a registered Republican, and it's a fact that is likely of interest to at least some voters in District 2. Newspapers aspire to publish facts. If this particular fact doesn't interest you, read on to the next sentence, and maybe you'll run across something that is more to your liking.

I have a lot of reporting to do this week, and if you don't mind I think I'll get back to it. You can comment as much as you want on this blog, but my schedule doesn't allow me to get into 20-comment rounds of debate with you.

Jordan Green said...

And here's an answer that may (or may not) more directly answer your question: Running for elected office is a political activity. Party affiliation sheds some light on the politics of the candidate.

Roch101 said...

Sorry if I hit a nerve, Jordan. When you identify Shell as Republican and in the same article fail to identify Barber as a Democrat, it just smells and your explanation doesn't make it smell less.

Tony Wilkins said...

Roch is right Jordan. And you will not be able to justify it in a 20 comment thread or a 40 comment thread.
You could just say thanks for your comment instead of trying to explain the unexplainable.