Roch Smith Jr.: 'More yellow journalism from YES! Weekly'

Media critic, blogger and ombudsman-at-large Roch Smith Jr. takes issue with my profile of Greensboro City Council candidate Max Benbassat.

UPDATE, Aug. 23, 3:44 p.m.: In a message today from the "Max Benbassat -- For a Better Greensboro!" Facebook group, the candidate says he is "overall very happy with the article," that he applauds my work on the article for being objective, and that he is "very happy" that I included a statement refuting the allegation.

In the interest of disclosure, I did e-mail Max a link to Roch's blog post, saying that he should feel free to say anything he wanted on Roch's blog (or nothing at all).

Here's the full message from Benbassat:

"I recently had the opportunity to meet and be interviewed by Jordan Green from Yes! Weekly, and must say that I am overall very happy with the article, although feel the need to clarify some things in light of their reporting my possible connection to organized crime. In the article (http://www.yesweekly.com/article-7132-benbassat-an-international-champion-for-urban-greensboro.html)- Benbassat, an international champion for urban Greensboro, Mr. Green states that-

"'Benbassat’s purist attitude towards politics contrasts with what some may see as a troubling association with organized crime.

"'The candidate was employed for a short time by a catering hall in Queens, NY that was alleged by the New York Daily News to be skimming money for the Gambino crime family and he ran an Italo-Argentine import business that associated with some people who were indirectly involved with organized crime in New York City.'

"'He later goes on to include my statement in response- 'The allegations connecting me to organized crime in New York or anywhere, for that matter, are false,' Benbassat told YES! Weekly.'

"I applaud Jordan's work on this article for being objective, and am very happy that he included my statement, because the fact of the matter is, quite simply, that I am not involved with anything of that nature, despite my past loose associations and/or friendships with people that may have been involved. I've been reading peoples blogs discussing Mr Green's Articles, and hope they can look past this and instead focus on the issues brought up, for example, my stance on a better controlled growth of our city, there is too much sprawl and this is not good; the mention of my stance and ideas on expanding urban green space, etc."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roch is a total joke.

Jordan Green said...

I regret the previous comment from the anonymous poster. Roch has said some unkind things about me, and I disagree with his assessment of my reporting, but my goal is to provide a forum where everyone's opinion is respected and all are treated with dignity.

Anonymous said...

Jordan Green is incapable of being truthful about the Latin Kings, yet he slurs another City Council candidate as having "possible ties to organized crime."

Mr. Green is losing whatever minimal credibility and objectivity with this insane pandering to gang leaders like Jorge Cornell. Yes Weekly will ultimately suffer because of it.

Stick to the facts, Mr. Green. If we want opinions disguised as reporting we'll read the Rhino Times.