DJ Hardy, unbound

For those who haven't noticed, we've been filing short candidate profiles each week — two for each of the cities with upcoming municipal elections. We want to be comprehensive, and inform our readership of the full range of political choices with the goal of — dare we hope? — more fully realizing the promise of democracy.

This approach has its downside. Trying to capture the essence and policy positions of a forthright, intelligent and provocative candidate in 600 words can be a little like trying to hook up a garden hose to a fire hydrant. Equitable coverage is one thing, but holding information back from readers is another.

DJ Hardy, an at-large candidate for Greensboro City Council, impressed me in an interview this afternoon as someone who has staked out unique positions on some issues that other candidates don't like to talk about much. He formulates his thoughts succinctly. In the interest of stimulating discussion, I'm posting some select quotes here that didn't make the cut for my forthcoming Aug. 26 profile in our print edition.

On moving from the west side of town to his current home in Ole Asheboro:
"We used to live in Rachel's Keep. We still have rental property there. Some days I want to move back. There's a lot less stress. The need for security is different. Grocery shopping is easier. What we need on the east side is a grocery store. The fact that we don't have one is horrible."

On involving young people:
"I would like to have youth participation on boards and commissions after they go through a city academy. They might not be able to vote. Their voice needs to be heard, especially if these are people we want to retain. We have people that once they turn 18 they can vote. Before that, we don't engage them. I think they do count. They're participants in our society."

Experience with the Obama campaign:
"Canvassing for Obama was inspirational because of what it did for me personally. I found a person who was involved in politics, and who was an agent of change. And he got other people to be active participants. What got me going was seeing people's faces in response to Obama, and the hope he brought them."

On governance:
"It's not about the issues so much as people feeling like they have a part in a place, and that they're heard. You're less inclined to make mistakes when you know the policy impacts on people. We don't have to agree on everything. I still respect what you have to say."

On Greensboro police Officer AJ Blake:
"I asked Chief Bellamy to hold off on his termination hearing until his appeal process went through. He wasn't getting paid. Why don't you wait, just in case he's found not guilty. Now, a jury has found him not guilty of what he's been terminated for. That's a potential lawsuit. There's such a rush to judgment. That's the kind of thing that disgusts people about local government."

On why the police department fired Blake before his case went to superior court:
"I know the answer. It's pressure from city leadership."

On an allegation that Councilman Mike Barber attempted to get criminal charges dropped for Blake with the understanding that the officer would withdraw as a plaintiff from a discrimination lawsuit against the city:
"I think it's true. I think he certainly was sticking his nose where it didn't belong. He was potentially making deals without the knowledge of other council members."

On voter dissatisfaction:
"I think a lot of people are really fed up because they see it doesn't have to be that way. That's where the Obama effect is relevant: People have seen good leadership. They've seen someone who engages them, fosters their participation and who they feel is working for them. The primary is going to send a clear message to the incumbents that the status quo is not going to cut it."

On the potential for a challenger slate:
"Whether I win or not, I do want to see a change — however we get there, whether it's me or someone I can align myself with.... I will say that one person I'm particularly impressed with is Ryan Shell. We have some significant differences. I like the fact that someone young is stepping up. He has creative ideas, and is constantly coming up with solutions on issues council doesn't spend much time on. I definitely support Joel Landau in District 4. I think he has a real shot."

On the GPD gang enforcement unit:
"Clearly they have a problem when there's a guy [Jorge Cornell] who's arrested on a frequent basis and charges are dropped. Something smells.... You have somebody on the inside of the gang unit [AJ Blake] who says there are racial motivations, comments that are disparaging to Hispanics. The city has a real bad history with special units [e.g. special intelligence under former Chief David Wray]."

"The gang unit really needs to be looked at. It needs to have clear indicators of what success is."

"We should also look at alternatives that prevent gang activity, and consider if that money spent on the gang unit could be spent more efficiently on prevention. Because if we lock people up, guess what? They get out, and they go right back to what they're doing."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

DJ Hardy, you are definitely an expert on being arrested and then coming out to do the same thing. Aren’t you one of the candidates that has been arrested? We should take some of the money from the gang unit and form an “alcohol squad”. Let’s see how long you remain on the streets.

Anonymous said...

Hmm. Interesting article. I've met him and he seems like a good guy, but I didn't really consider voting for him until reading this. Still undecided, but I might. Appreciate his thoughtful stances.

Fair_Shake said...

I have met DJ, in fact I know him very well. I know him as an upstanding, intelligent member of this community. He is a hard-working, devoted husband and father of two daughters. He is also a deacon in the Presbyterian faith and a very active leader in the Greensboro community.

I wish people that wished to remain anonymous didn't distort facts in order to disparage a fine upstanding leader...I'm not sure to what end...because they clearly offer no facts.

He still has my vote!