Vaughan: 'It's council's job to set policy and staff's job to enact that policy'

Greensboro Mayor Pro Tem Nancy Vaughan indicates she was surprised to learn that the city manager's office suggested that the RUCO Advisory Board suspend discussions about the program until November. Vaughan says that she supports finalizing changes prior to the merger of the planning and engineering & inspections departments.

Full e-mail from Vaughan to City Manager Rashad Young and to fellow city council members:

Rashad, is it true that you suspended future discussions about the RUCO ordinance? I was surprised to read about that on-line without prior notification or discussion, especially since I was the one who instigated those discussions. In my opinion, the ordinance should be clarified prior to the merger of the planning and inspection departments. Wouldn’t it make more sense to have the “new” department have a clear message? Why cross train employees about an ordinance that may change?

I do not advocate eliminating the program. I understand that there have been some spirited discussions but some progress has been made. The task force is prepared to offer some changes that will directly target the roughly 7% of substandard rental housing and they will give the City a greater ability to address those properties. In addition to making it easier to report substandard housing there is always the potential to save money.

By virtue of this e-mail I am requesting a copy of the form, and guidelines, that RUCO inspectors use when they inspect a unit. I would like to see a copy of the “paperwork” (or computerwork) that is generated during and immediately after an inspection.

It is council’s job to set policy and staff’s job to enact that policy.

Thank you,
Nancy


UPDATE: Young responds:

Nancy, I didn't suspend anything. Not sure what exactly you are referring to. I'll be happy to get you the paperwork you requested. I'm quite clear on the role of council and that of staff.

Perhaps we should discuss tomorrow.

Rashad

Sent from my iPhone



No comments: