Robbie Perkins' possible conflict of interest

Greensboro at-large Councilman Robbie Perkins on his potential conflict of interest with DH Griffin, a company whose principals are partners in a proposal to reopen the White Street Landfill:

I have independent contractors that work for my company that sell and lease real estate. From time to time they will run across DH Griffin. I outlined any and all deal we are involved with the city attorney. I’m personally not involved with any.

Perkins said he was unaware of one of his company's signs being placed in front of a DH Griffin property on Hilltop Road.




The councilman said he decided to ask the city attorney for an opinion on whether he should recuse himself because of a conflict of interest after seeing a question about his company's possible involvement with DH Griffin raised on a blog.

As to Mayor Pro Tem Nancy Vaughan's objection to the way the matter has been handle, Perkins said,

I met with the city attorney and the assistant city attorney, and what they told me is that we could participate. And so I did it in reliance of the meeting that I had with the attorney 15 minutes before.

I think you have to look at whether you have a direct, indirect or potential conflict there are all sorts of legal standards.

If DH Griffin gets a contract out the city of Greensboro, Robbie Perkins does not get a nickel out of it. It’s not there. There’s a difference with Nancy and Waste Industry's relationship. If Waste Industry gets a contract, I’m sure [husband] Don would get paid, and Nancy would benefit from it.

No comments: