Cover story bonus material!

This week's cover story, "A perfect Mother's Day Gift" by Erin McClanahan Rainwater, concerns a very special family portrait taken by Greensboro photographer Katie Klein. Here is a short Q&A with Klein.

www.katiekleinphotography.com

Katie Klein's idea for her series The Original Sweethearts came to her after looking at a photo of her grandmother that was taken exclusively for her grandfather who was serving in World War II. Herewith a brief Q & A with Klein about inspiration, and thoughts on her process:

What separates your new artistic portraiture work from the more traditional portraiture style commonly seen in NC?
I have revisited my fine art roots from college with this theatrical and artistic portraiture. My experience working for David LaChapelle in fashion photography has also influenced me to stay true to my artistic style. I have been primarily focused on documentary-style wedding and portraiture for the last seven years and because my clients tend to be artists themselves, or have a great appreciation for the arts, I knew that I could introduce this body of work and that people would appreciate it.

As an artist, what is your goal when you take a photograph like this?
My main focus is to create artwork and an original experience. With the family portraiture and The Original Sweethearts series, my focus is on women. The media and fashion industry seem to create the feeling of an unobtainable idea of beauty, which tend to make women have a low self worth. My goal is to make women feel pampered, special and beautiful with a unique experience, producing original artwork.

Why do you think your portraits make the ultimate Mothers Day gift?
Growing up in my family, my siblings and I knew the gift that would make my mother or grandmother cry every time were portraits of us. The memories that are created and captured through portraiture are priceless and they also provide a visual form of family archiving. I always take documentary images of the photo shoot process or out takes. These images provide memories of the actual experience, which is equally as important as the final artwork. How many gifts make women feel this special while providing a unique experience and artwork?

www.katiekleinphotography.com

No comments: