Additional college-sponsored winners
will be announced in coming months
"Greensboro, N.C. – Six GCS students have been selected for National Merit Scholarships in the first two rounds of winners announced by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC). Additional winners of college-sponsored scholarships will be revealed May 27 and July 13.
Today, NMSC announced the National Merit $2,500 Scholarship winners, who have been judged in each state to have the strongest combination of accomplishments, skills and potential for success in rigorous college studies. Students were chosen from a pool of more than 15,000 finalists who began the process based on their test scores on the Preliminary SAT exam, taken during their junior year.
GCS scholarship winners are:
- Madeleine Braye, Grimsley High, who plans to study linguistics
- Brianna Dobson, Page High, who is undecided on her career path
- Jake Thomas, Early College at Guilford, who will pursue a career in medicine
- Jake Mayer, Northwest High, who plans to study computer engineering
- Zachary Bellows, Northern High, who is interested in studying engineering
Last month, an additional GCS student was one of 1,000 seniors nationwide selected to receive a corporate-sponsored National Merit Scholarship. Duncan Taylordean of Northern High was awarded the National Merit PPG Industries Community Foundation Scholarship, which is distributed in communities where PPG maintains operations or to children of PPG employees.
Scholars may use their awards at any regionally accredited U.S. college or university. By the completion of the competition, more than 7,600 students will have earned the “Merit Scholar” title."
- A Press Release