HPU Welcomes Say Yes and First Generation Scholarship Recipients


"HIGH POINT, N.C., Aug. 30, 2016 – High Point University awarded five Say Yes Scholarships to Guilford County Schools students for the 2016-17 academic year, including two scholarships dedicated to students who are the first in their family to pursue a college degree. The scholarships cover full tuition, fees and books for four years.

While the national Say Yes Scholarship program is new to Guilford County, this is the seventh year HPU has awarded First Generation Scholarships, for a total of 14, four-year scholarships awarded so far.


Douglas McCollum is a Say Yes Scholar and First Generation Scholar who grew up in the city of High Point. He’s a graduate of High Point Central High School, where he participated in JV basketball, track, the International Baccalaureate Program and served as president of the Poetry Club. He’s also a skilled Ju-Jitsu athlete.

“This scholarship allows for a great start to my future,” says McCollum, who plans to study communication at HPU. “It’s such an enormous blessing for my family and myself. I look forward to embracing all HPU has to offer, and also imparting strengths I possess to help with its already staggering and impressive growth. I’m just one student, but the opportunities are endless.”

Kayla Quick is a Say Yes Scholar and First Generation Scholar and a graduate of Southwest Guilford High School. She was a varsity cheerleader during her time at Southwest, as well as a member of the Beta Club, the National Honor Society, Chorus, the Baking Club and a service learning ambassador. She has also volunteered her time for the Miracle League of High Point, the Ronald McDonald House and served as a reading buddy at Shadybrook Elementary School. She plans to study psychology and criminal justice at HPU.
“I realized the amount of opportunity, greatness and beauty of this school,” Quick said about her choice to attend HPU. “I know I’ll graduate with skills for the real world and be prepared.”

Emily Yacuzzo is a graduate of Penn-Griffin School for the Arts, where she played flute in the concert band, was a member of the theatre program, the Art Club, Beta Club and the National Honor Society. Through the concert band, she and her team members traveled to play music for students with special needs at schools throughout the Triad. At HPU, she’ll major in political science.
“The scholarship allows me to be successful and go to a very prestigious school,” Yacuzzo says. “The opportunities at HPU will ensure I find a job in the field I want. I’m most excited about the interesting classes I’ll take.”

Emily Lucas graduated from Penn-Griffin School for the Arts and served as the co-president of the Ukulele Club while focusing her studies on classical guitar. She played in the school’s guitar ensemble, which performed for a variety of groups, including people battling cancer at High Point Regional Hospital and residents at Adams Farm Living and Rehabilitation. She also volunteers at a number of local festivals.
“This scholarship allows me to start my life fresh and focus on finding a good job,” Lucas says. “I’m excited about meeting new people and creating myself in such a great environment.”

Mary Hannah Shinn graduated from Weaver Academy in Greensboro. She was a member of the National Honor Society as well as the National Art Honor Society. She served as a docent at the Greensboro Natural Science Center, was a volunteer soccer coach and cheer coach at Cheer Elite All Stars.
“I will be a biology major, and I’m most excited about the experiences I will have and the learning opportunities I will have throughout my time here,” Shinn says."

- A Press Release

No comments: