A public apology from Rev. Cardes Brown to Mayor Bill Knight

Statement made by the Rev. Cardes Brown at a press conference held at New Light Missionary Baptist Church in Greensboro on June 24:

"I think I want to apologize to Mayor Knight. Please put this down. I want to apologize to him because he made a statement sometime ago, and I challenged the statement. He made the statement that the chief was only made chief because he was black. And I stood up against that statement. And I have to really apologize to Mayor Knight because the more I research this the more I’m inclined to agree that, in part, he was right. He was only made chief because he was black and would show favor to the majority of officers on the force.”

The majority of officers on the force, it should be noted, are white.

Chief Tim Bellamy is scheduled to retire on July 31.


No comments: