Issue No. 1: School’s Out!
I Don’t Do Boxes, a magazine for and by queer youth is seeking submissions for our first issue. We’re looking for stories, essays, photos, drawings, videos, comic strips, poems, etc., exploring LGBTQIA southern experiences. The first issue will be published in June and the guiding theme is School’s Out, collecting stories about school, outside learning, and beyond.
We ask that you think back to experiences you had in or out of school: what it was like to deal with issues of gender and sexuality, experiences with teachers and students, issues of bullying, and strategies for organizing and intervention. If you don’t have a story about school you’d like to share, don’t worry — the issue is open to anything and everything, we’re just interested in your story!
- Please send all works to email@example.com
- Text-based submissions should be limited to 800-1000 words or less
- Media files should be 1-3 MB
- For video/sound work, please send a YouTube/Vimeo/Soundcloud URL link
- Once you submit, the editorial team will place your piece in one of four departments: (1) News & Politics, (2) Style & Culture, (3) Undercover Investigations and (4) Advice & Technique.
- Submission deadline, May 3, 2013
The I Don’t Do Boxes team meets every Thursday from 6-8pm at Elsewhere in downtown Greensboro, NC (606 S. Elm Street). Please join us to assist, work on projects and meet other queer-identifying people and communities in the Triad. We’re here to support you along the way with questions you may have, technical skills and however else we can help. For more info visit: idontdoboxes.org/submit
I Don’t Do Boxes is a project of QueerLab, a youth-led platform for digital storytelling at Elsewhere, a living museum in downtown Greensboro, NC. I Don’t Do Boxes is an Elsewhere collaboration with YouthSAFE and the Guilford Green Foundation. Visit goelsewhere.org/queerlab for more info.
Thanks from the Editorial Team!