"Greenhill, in partnership with North Carolina 2015, Local Organizing Committee for the 2015 U.S. Figure Skating Championships, is inviting North Carolina artists to create and submit original works of art for the 2015 U.S. Figure Skating Championships Poster Competition. The 2015 U.S. Figure Skating Championships will take place January 18 to 25, 2015 at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex.
Greenhill is seeking submissions that capture the spirit, athleticism and grace associated with figure skating for use as the main image for the official poster of the 2015 U.S. Figure Skating Championships. Entries will be juried later this year by a group selected by Greenhill.
The winning artist will receive $3,000 for the reproduction of his or her artwork on the poster as well as royalties from sales of the posters during the Championships. Second and third place entries will receive $750 and $500, respectively. Winner of the “People’s Choice Award,” voted on by the public, will receive $750.
To qualify for the competition, artists must be legal residents of North Carolina. Submissions must be two-dimensional artwork (painting, drawing, printmaking, collage or fiber art). Photography is excluded, and submissions cannot include typography. Each artist may submit up to two entries, and there is a $10 fee per entry. Entries are due by September 30, 2014, 2014.
“Organizers of the U.S. Figure Skating Championships contacted us prior to the 2011 U.S. Championships and asked if Greenhill would be willing to host an art competition reflecting the themes of the Championships, and we jumped at the opportunity,” Edie Carpenter, director of curatorial and artistic programs at Greenhill, said. “For the 2011 event, our group of judges selected Jordan Grace Owens of Greensboro as winner of the competition for her acrylic paint, collage, ink, gold and silver leaf piece entitled Skating Lady.”
Skating Lady became the Official Poster of the U.S. Championships and prints were much sought after at venue merchandise stands. “Figure Skating as a sport encompasses strong elements of visual and performing arts, so a visual art competition tied to the Championships is a natural,” said Hill Carrow, Chairman of North Carolina 2015. “We also love involving the North Carolina arts community in this showcase event, and the long lines at autograph sessions by the winning artist in 2011 demonstrated that this concept is a great fit.”
“All of us at Greenhill are honored to have been asked to spearhead the poster competition again this year and look forward to reviewing another group of entries that embody the spirit and grace of figure skating,” Carpenter added.
About the 2015 U.S. Figure Skating Championships
The 2015 U.S. Figure Skating Championships will take place January 18 to 25, 2015 with practice day for the skaters on Saturday, January 17, and competition beginning Sunday, January 18 through Sunday, January 25. The Championships conclude with the Skating Spectacular on Sunday evening, January 25. At the 2015 U.S. Figure Skating Championships, national champions will be selected in Ladies, Men, Pairs, and Ice Dance at the Senior, Junior, Novice, Intermediate and Juvenile levels. For only the third time in the 100-year history of the event, the 2015 U.S. Figure Skating Championships will feature the three major components of the Championships—competition, practice and FanFest—all in one building, under one roof.
About North Carolina 2015
North Carolina 2015 is the local organizing committee for the 2015 U.S. Figure Skating Championships to be held in Greensboro, NC, January 18-25, 2015. NC 2015 encompasses a collaborative team consisting of the Greensboro Coliseum Complex, the Greensboro Sports Commission, the Greensboro Convention & Visitors Bureau, Sports & Properties, Inc., and North Carolina Figure Skating Clubs. The 2015 U.S. Figure Skating Championships are sponsored locally by BB&T and VF Corporation, Presenting Sponsors; and by Official Sponsors the Greensboro Convention & Visitors Bureau, the Greensboro Coliseum Complex, the Joseph M. Bryan Foundation, Graphic Visual Solutions, BEM, Vela, The City of Greensboro, The Cemala Foundation, Ice Rink Events, HKS, Exact Target, and Hagan Davis Law Firm; by Media Partners The News & Record, WFMY News2, Clear Channel Media + Entertainment, and Guilford Woman Magazine; and by Medical Services Provider Cone Health.
For more information, please visit northcarolina2015.com
# # #
CALL FOR ARTISTS
2015 US Figure Skating Championships
2015 US Figure Skating Championships
Attention North Carolina Artists:
Greenhill and the US Figure Skating Championships are looking for an original artwork portraying the spirit, athleticism and grace of figure skating for the official poster of the 2015 US Figure Skating Championships taking place at the Greensboro Coliseum from January 18-25, 2015. The winning artist will receive $3000 for reproduction of their work on the poster as well as royalties from sales. Second and third place entries will receive $750 and $500 respectively. A People’s Choice award of $750 voted by the public will also be awarded.
Rules for Submission:
Rules for Submission:
- Artists must be residents of North Carolina.
- Artworks must be 2-d. All media (painting, drawing, printmaking, collage, fiber art) are accepted. Photography is excluded. Do not include typography or illustrated text in your artwork.
- All submissions must be an original design by the entrant, not an adaptation of another artist’s design, and conceived for reproduction as a 40 x 30 inch poster.
- Artists may submit up to two entries in the form of jpeg digital images. There is a $10 fee per entry. Submit online at: www.greenhill.slideroom.com.
Please address any questions to: email@example.com
- All submissions must be received by September 30, 2014.
- Entrants must agree if they are selected as one of the 40 semi-finalists, to exhibit their work at the Coliseum from January 18-25, 2015 and prepare their work for display.
- Semi-finalists will be notified by October 15, 2014.
- Drop-off of semi-finalists’ work at the Orientation Room, Greensboro Cultural Center, 200 North Davie Street, Greensboro, NC 27401 for juried review: December 11, 2014.
- Notification of winning design and 2nd and 3rd place entries: December 15, 2014.
- Awards conferred during a ceremony at the Greensboro Coliseum on January 16 or 17, 2015 (to be announced).
- Works picked up at Greenhill, 200 North Davie Street, Greensboro, NC 27401 on January 28 and January 29, 2015.
- The winning artists give Greenhill and the US Figure Skating Championships the right to use their artwork, or part thereof, in any publication, advertising, or promotional materials.
For information on the 2015 U.S. Figure Skating Championships, visit www.northcarolina2015.com"
Submitted Press Release