Low-light photography


The photoshoot for the cover story about gambling in North Carolina took me to the interior of Pots O' Gold in Greensboro. Inside, the machines had bright, flashing lights. But the room had very little good light for photographic purposes.

Our eyes are like lenses, adjusting to a bright, summer day, or dark room, with ease. For the shoot in Pots O' Gold, I came prepared with my tripod. I didn't even attempt to shoot without one, as I knew there wouldn't be enough light for 1/60 exposure.

I set my camera at 800iso, with a wide f-stop of 3.5. Since the machines would be flashing and providing movement, as well as the people inside the store, I didn't want too much movement in the shots. This would have made the photos too blurry. The shot shown was taken at 1/10 shutter speed, with a wide angle at 18mm. The composition of the shot was taken at an angle to provide the first machine on the left as a focal point, and depth to give a sense of scale. I utilized the mirror on the wall, as the builder intended, to make the interior appear larger.

No comments: