Bananas Foster Quesadilla
Greensboro home cook Melissa Sperka's Bananas Foster Quesadilla recipe has been awarded a blue ribbon at Just A Pinch Recipes, a recipe and coupon social network for home cooks at www.justapinch.com.
This is quite an honor considering only about 2% of the 150,000 recipes posted to the website have received this award. Sperka is one of 650+ home cooks in the Greensboro area participating on justapinch.com.
Bananas Foster Quesadillas
by Melissa Sperka (Greensboro)
4 8-10 inch flour tortillas
8 oz softened Neufchatel cheese
2 bananas cut in half lengthwise, then sliced
1/2 c powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp orange zest
10 oz jar of caramel ice cream topping
1 tsp rum flavoring
1 stick softened butter
1/4 c dark brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
In a mixing bowl, mix together the softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and orange zest. When the mixture is fully combined, gently fold in the sliced bananas.
· Onto one half of each flour tortilla spread 1/3 cup of the cream cheese mixture. Fold the tortilla over, and place it onto a flat platter. Repeat this with all four tortillas, then cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. This will allow the filling to chill before browning.
· In a separate bowl, mix together one stick of softened butter, 1/4 cup of dark brown sugar and 1 tsp. of cinnamon.
· To prepare the quesadillas, spread one side of each with the cinnamon butter mixture. Lay buttered side down in a pre-heated non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
· While the first side is browning, spread the butter mixture onto the other side. Cook on medium-high heat until the quesadilla is browned on both sides, you may need to lower the heat a little to avoid burning the brown sugar.
· To serve, cut the quesadillas in half and drizzle with the caramel rum glaze (recipe below). Garnish with powdered sugar and whipped cream. Serve hot.
· Caramel Rum Glaze: 1 10 oz jar of caramel ice cream topping, 1 tsp. of rum flavoring - Heat the topping in a microwave safe bowl until it is the consistency of syrup. Add the rum flavoring then drizzle over the hot quesadillas before serving.
· Cook's note: Do not walk away from the pan when you're preparing the quesadillas, the brown sugar will caramelize quickly and it can burn easily.